Japa: Types of US visa available to Nigerians, other foreigners

Types of US visa available to Nigerians, other foreigners
A prototype of application for a US visa

The United States (US) government has different visa for potential immigrants to apply for which will enable them to relocate to, work, and study.

A US visa is a permit issued by the US government that grants non-citizens entry into the country for certain purposes, such as work, study, or travel.

To apply for a visa, you should carry out some complex but important tasks like filling out the correct forms, providing relevant documents, and paying a fee.

In some cases, you may also need to attend an interview at a US embassy or consulate.

Below are application requirements:

To apply for a US visa, you must meet certain requirements. Applicants should have valid passports and documents demonstrating their purpose of travel, such as employment contracts or educational records.

Depending on the type of visa you are applying for, additional documentation may be required.

You should also be prepared to provide proof of your funds and any medical or other relevant information requested by the American embassy or consulate.

In addition, you must have evidence of your intention to return home after your authorised stay, if you’re applying for a temporary or nonimmigrant visa.

It’s also important to remember that all documents must be in English or translated into English and that all original documents must be presented with copies at the visa interview.

Types Of US visa
The US offers two types of visas: immigrant and non-immigrant.

An immigrant visa is for those who intend to stay in the US permanently, while a non-immigrant visa is for those who are only in the US temporarily.

Non-immigrant visas generally allow people to work or study in the US for up to 180 days, while an immigrant visa allows you to stay indefinitely and work without restrictions.

Non-Immigrant Visas
There are a number of types of non-immigrant visas, and these include:

Work Visa
A work visa allows you to legally work in the US, and all require you to have a firm, concrete job offer in the North American country. Your work visa will be tied to your company- you are not permitted to work for anyone else while you are in the US on a work visa.

The main visas in this category include:

1.C-1/D Visa (Combined Transit and Crewman) – crew members of international flights or ships.

  1. E-1 Visa (Treaty Trader) – managers/executives/specialists/supervisors of companies driving trade to the US.
  2. E-2 Visa (Treaty Investor) – managers/executives/specialists/supervisors of companies investing in the US.
  3. H-1B Visa (Speciality Occupation Worker) – For highly qualified professionals and people with an academic degree.
  4. I Visa (Foreign News Media) – journalists and media representatives.
  5. L-1 Visa (Intracompany Transferee) – internal transfer of employees of all nationalities.
  6. L-1 Blanket Visa/Registration – internal transfer of employees with a simplified application process.
  7. O- 1 Visa (Extraordinary Ability) – people with extraordinary skills and abilities.
  8. TN Visa – skilled workers from Canada and Mexico.

US Visitor Visa (Business Visa USA and US Tourist Visa)
In many cases, tourists and visitors will qualify for the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA). However, as a Nigerian citizen, you will need to apply for a specific visa in order to visit. In this case, you will need one of two visas:

i. B-1 Visa (Business Visitor) – business travellers who stay in America for up to 180 days

ii. B-1 Visa (Tourist) – tourists looking to stay in America for up to 180 days

Internship and student visas

If you are studying in there, taking part in an exchange program, or undertaking an internship, you will need one of two visas:

a. F-1 Visa (Student) – for studying at an American university or college.

b. J -1 Visa (Exchange) – for people who participate in an exchange program in the US (e.g. an internship or training).

Immigrant visa for US (Green Card)
If you have an immigrant visa, you will be permitted to stay in the US on a permanent basis and undertake paid work. The categories of immigrant visas are Employment-based immigration, Family-based immigration, and the Diversity Visa Program.

Employment-based immigration visas are:

EB-1 (Priority Workers)

EB-2 (Advanced Degree/Exceptional Ability

EB-3 (Skilled Workers, Professionals and Other Workers)

EB-4 (Special Immigrants – this includes religious workers)

EB-5 (Immigration Investor Program)

Family-based visas include:

Spouses and relatives of US citizens, or ofpermanent residents

The Diversity Visa program requires participation in the yearly Green Card Lottery – this is open to citizens of eligible countries, and allows a certain number of people to gain permanent resident status.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *