A COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE 6TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE IMO STATE UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (IMSUAA) HELD AT GOLDEN TULIP HOTELS, YENAGOA, BAYELSA STATE FROM THE 10TH – 14TH AUGUST 2023.
The Imo State University Alumni Association (IMSUAA) held its 6th Annual convention tagged GloryLand 2023, at Golden Tulip Hotels, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
The Annual Convention and General Meeting was attended by over 200 Alumni members (including the IMSUAA President Barr Okey Ozumba and other officers) from across the 9 registered Chapters in IMSUAA . The Annual General meeting of the Association was presided by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Barr. Chinwe Mbakwem.
The theme of the 2023 Convention/AGM is “THE INSTITUTIONAL ROLE OF ALUMNI ASSOCIATIONS IN OUR SOCIO-CULTURAL EDUCATIONALISM: A TOOL FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT. This theme guided the discussion during the courtesy call on the Chairman of Bayelsa State Council of Traditional Rulers, King Bubaraye Dakolo JP, as well as formed the bases for the convention lecture ably delivered by the Dean of Faculty of Humanities, Federal University, Otueke, Prof. Akachi Cornelius Odoemena, (an Alumnus of Imo State University, Owerri).
At the end if the AGM, which was attended by all chapters of the association, the following resolutions were reached:
THAT THE ALUMNI
- Commends and appreciates the Local Organising Committee (LOC (, National Convention Planning Committee (NCPC) for a job well done as well as the Bayelsa State (Gunshot) Chapter for hosting the convention.
- Appreciates the Bayelsa State Government for the peace & progress recorded in the State and for appointing our member, Hon. Tonyon Ebitei as Commissioner for Power.
- Strongly condemns in totality, the criminal activity going on in our Alma mater, the Imo State University, Owerri, whereby some members of the University management in active connivance with a band of renegades (who are no longer members of IMSUAA), criminally exploiting and extorting N5,000 from every graduating student of the institution, under the guise of “Alumni levy” in the name IMSUAA and sharing the money amongst themselves without the knowledge of the Imo State University Pro-Chancellor, the Visitor to the University and the unsuspecting public.
- The Imo State Governor, Sen. Hope Uzodimma, (in his capacity as Visitor to the University & Grand Patron of IMSUAA) and the Pro-Chancellor of the Imo State University Owerri are enjoined to immediately institute a forensic audit of the Alumni levy collection and disbursement from its inception till date and put a stop to the apparent criminality going in that space, to serve as a deterrent to other impostors as well as restore the dignity of the University and the integrity of IMSUAA.
- Disassociates herself and members of the IMSU ALUMNI from the so-called CONVENTION being planned by the “GLOBAL IMSU GRADUATES” in an attempt to pass off as the Imo State University Alumni to unsuspecting members of the public. The promoters of the said convention are expelled members of IMSUAA who were pilloried for financial malfeasance and for illegally collecting and sharing Alumni levy from graduating students in the name of IMSUAA without the authorisation of IMSUAA BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
- Mandates NEC to use all lawful means to stop the criminal enterprise ongoing in the University with reference to the collection and disbursement of the “Alumni Dues”.
- Encourages the Imo State Government and her officials and Management of the Imo State University and the general public to stay away from such illegal activity/Convention as the IMSUAA Board of Trustees has not authorised the holding of any such convention in the name of IMSU Alumni having obtained a subsisting Court Order (Suit No. HOW/931/2021 The Incorporated Trustees Of Imo State University Alumni & 2 ORS V. Prince Ferdinand Akano & Dr Anayo Uhiara) restraining Ferdinand Akano, Dr Anayo Uhiara, their agents and privies or anyone acting on their behalf from holding any convention in the name of IMSU Alumni.
- Mandates NEC to reopen a channel of communication with the University Management to strengthen the partnership between the Alumni and the University with a view to facilitating the growth of the institution.
- Implores all members of IMSUAA to take ownership of the association through proactive participation and financial contributions to the IMSU Alumni and our Alma Mater.
- Awarded Abia State Chapter of IMSUAA the hosting right for the 2024 Convention/AGM.
Barr. Chinwe Mbakwem BOT CHAIRMAN
Ik Ogbonna, fcai, anipr SECRETARY-GENERAL