President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Yahaya replaces the late General Ibrahim Attahiru who recently died in a fatal plane crash en-route Kaduna State along with other senior officers and crew members.
Here are few things to know about him:
1. Major General Farouk Yahaya is of Regular Course 37 of the Nigerian Defence Academy
2. He hails from Sokoto State.
3. Until his appointment, he was the Theatre Commander Operation Hadin Kai, formerly known as Operation Lafiya Dole in the Northeast.
4. Yahaya took over from Maj.-Gen. Olusegun Adeniyi, who was redeployed to the Nigerian Army Resource Centre as Senior Research Fellow.
5. He was also formerly General Officer Commanding Officer of the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
6. Yahaya was also the Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army.