In a bid to usher in the 2nd Republic of the Imo Youth Parliament, the office of the Governor, youth affairs and the Ministry of Youth and Social Development has set up a screening and Electoral Committee, charge with the responsibility of steering the Youth Parliament and organising fresh elections to produce a new leadership for that body.
In a release signed by the Special Adviser to the Governor, Youth Affairs, Hon. Eric Uwakwe, the committee which has Samuel O. Ibeh as Chairman and Francis Ndimkoha as Secretary, have two months to conclude their assignment and birth a new leadership for Imo Youth Parliament.
Here’s the official release:
OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR ON YOUTH AFFAIRS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT SETS UP SCREENING AND ELECTION COMMITTEE FOR THE SECOND REPUPLIC OF IMO STATE YOUTH PARLIAMENT (IYP), CALLS ON IMO YOUTHS WHO HAVE INTEREST IN JOINING THE PARLIAMENT TO APPROACH THE COMMITTEE.
Office of the Special Adviser to the Executive Governor of Imo state on Youth Affairs in collaboration with Ministry of Sports and Youth Development has set up a Seven (7) Man Screening and Election Committee to oversee the constitution of the Second Republic of Imo State Youth Parliament (IYP), a non partisan youth body gazetted by the National Assembly through the framework of Nigerian Youth Parliament (NYP) to train Nigerian youths on the rudiments of Parliamentary proceedings.
Members of the Committee are:
- Samuel Onyinye Ibeh ( Chairman ) 0816 008 1569
- Augustine Chico okafor (Deputy Chairman)
3. Francis Ndimkoha ( Secretary) 08036015597
- Victoria Ugochi Akusobi (Member)
- Comr Izunwanne Chidozie (Member)
6.Comr Chibuzor Stanly ( Member )
7.Comr Nwadike Peter Charls (member)
- The Committee is mandated to:
- 1. Liase with the House of Assembly, L.G.A Chairmen and relevant authorities to oversee a free, fair and credible nomination and screening of Imo youths who have interest in joining the Parliament across all Imo L.G.As.
- 2. Conduct a transparent election in any L.G.A with more than one nomination to represent the L.G.A at the state level or the Ward at the local government level of the Parliament.
- 3. Return 27 Successful Hon. Members of the Parliament (one from each L.G.A) for onward inauguration to represent their L.G.As at the state level of the Parliament and two from each Ward to represent their Wards at the L.G.A level of the Parliament.
- 4. Liaise with office of the Governor-Youth Affairs, Ministry of Youth and Imo state House of Assembly to inaugurate all the successful Hon. Members of the Parliament at the various L.G.A levels and then finally the State level.
Lastly, the Committee is given two months ending 3/9/2021 to finish her assignment which would trigger the first sitting of the Parliament at the state level.
Comr. Eric Uwakwe,
Special Adviser to the Executive Governor of Imo state on Youth Affairs.